Chris Cotton of AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching is our guest on this episode of The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. We were at the Marriott World Center in Orlando Florida for Worldpac’s STX conference where we hijacked the Marriott Boardroom to talk to Chris about the overall state of marketing in the automotive independent aftermarket. We cover so much with Chris, and we hope you’ll listen in to find that one takeaway that will positively impact your bottom line.
Key Talking Points
- There is a false sense of security in the industry right now. It’s easy to succeed as a shop in this bull market, but a bear market is coming.
- Shop owners now have to compete with shops that are owned by business people coming out of the corporate world, or with VC groups buying up shops and running them like well-oiled machines
- When it comes to your marketing, you need to be on top of your game, you probably need to get help, you need to embrace video, and you need to make your marketing help people get to know, like, and trust you.
- Sometimes marketing mediums that we perceive to have stopped being effective will make a comeback. You only know this by trying things and measuring the ROI.
- Some shops stayed full throttle into the pandemic and thrived. Others pulled back and went out of business. You never take your foot off the gas!
- Focus on the foundational marketing tactics before chasing silver bullets. Once the foundations are rock-solid, then experiment with shiny objects.
- Most shops market haphazardly without a plan. To get the most out of your marketing, a well-thought-out plan based on a rolling 12 months needs to be in place.